During Phase 2, the Beauregard Parish Library is open with limited hours and limited services. Additional details can be seen here. Within those limitations, further closures may become necessary on short notice due to staff shortages. We will update our social media accounts in those instances. Patrons are also welcome to call 337-463-6217 x 0 during the DeRidder branch's open hours for the most recent updates on branch openings. Computer use is limited and by appointment only. Patrons can schedule appointments online here or by calling 337-463-6217 or in-person by asking a library clerk. Appointments are set at 45-minute intervals. No consecutive appointments for 1 person.
Click here to book a computer appointment
Click here to check out our Summer Reading Program 2020 website
Sunday School: Cultural Studies
With this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class we will satisfy your curiosity about the world with different cultural studies. Classes available through Universal Class are free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards.
Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many others available. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- Chinese Culture 101
- "This course was designed to teach you about Chinese culture today and the accepted behaviors of the Chinese people. You'll learn about the lifestyles of modern Chinese people, the philosophies that guide their lives, and get an in-depth glimpse into Chinese culture so that, if you visit, you'll fit right in."
- French Culture 101
- "Welcome to our course on French culture. Throughout this course, we'll offer students a brief introduction to the country and its people. We'll cover necessary issues for your travel preparations to France, including the need for visas or passports. We'll show you ways to stay healthy and safe in France, as well as how to deal with emergencies. Whether you're traveling to France for business or pleasure, it's important to follow French customs and etiquette."
- German Culture 101
- "Welcome to this introduction course on German culture and customs. Germany is a diverse and unique country, one that relies heavily on tradition and centuries-old heritage. During this course, we'll briefly acquaint you to the country, its geography, and offer a brief glimpse into its recent and ancient history. Students will learn important things they should do before traveling to Germany, including obtaining a passport, learning about the electrical systems and money used there, as well as how to deal with the infamous autobahn."
- Japanese Cultural Studies 101
- "This course will explore this history as well as discuss Japanese traditions, language, religions, food, etiquette and manners, careers and education, arts, holidays and leisure, architecture, government and the legal system. Throughout this course you will see how Japanese people value consideration, thoughtfulness, politeness and order. It is one of the safest places on the earth to visit, and although it may be difficult to blend in, it is easy to appreciate well-mannered Japanese culture."
- Russian Culture 101
- "Universal Class welcomes you to our course on Russian Culture and Behavior. While this course is focused mainly on business travelers or those interested in doing business in Russia, the content found within this course is nevertheless valuable to casual visitors and sight-seeing vacationers as well. Throughout this course, we'll provide information and the process you need to follow when planning your travels to and throughout Russia, as well as what to expect when you land."
- Spanish Culture 101
- "Students will also learn basic travel tips and safety issues as well as what to expect when traveling through Spain and respecting its customs and traditions. This course explores some of the more popular festivals that occur throughout the year and introduces some of Spain's most delicious culinary delights."
There are over 500 different courses available. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.
Posted Sunday May 17, 2015 12:00pm