On Wednesday, November 15, the DeRidder Branch hosted the ribbon cutting for our brand new Civil Legal Access Point, provided to our parish by our partners at the Louisiana Access to Justice Commission, the Louisiana State Bar Association, and the Lagniappe Law Center. This Law Lab will serve as a legal aid booth for all residents of our parish who find themselves in a position of needing legal aid or advice.
What can you do at our Legal Help Access Point?
Legal Help Access Point users can:
- Find (free!) legal information – Access free legal information and resources for over 90 civil legal topics (listed below!).
- Fill out (free!) court forms – Find and fill out court forms for issues like Divorce, Child Custody, and Name Changes.
- Find legal aid services – See what free and reduced-cost legal service programs you likely quality for.
- Meet online with a lawyer – Video conference with your legal aid attorney (by appointment only).
- Attend online court hearings – Log- in to your remote court hearing (in participating court jurisdictions only).
Civil legal topics include:
- Accidents and Torts
- Civil and Human Rights
- Courts and Lawyers
- Crime and Prisons
- Disaster Relief
- Domestic Violence
- Estates, Wills, and Guardianships
- Government Services
- Health and Disability
- Money, Debt, and Consumer Issues
- Public Benefits
- Traffic and Cars
- Veterans and Military
- Work and Employment
You can also find and print out legal documents pertaining to a number of these issues, including divorce papers. And this booth is completely sound proof, giving you the utmost privacy regarding any sensitive matters!
If you have a legal issue and don’t know where to begin, visit our Law Booth and get some answers! It is located within our DeRidder Branch, next to the DVDs and our Grants Room. Please ask a clerk for directions.
Find available Access Point locations at: https://www.louisianalegalnavigator.org/access-points