1000 Books Before Kindergarten
A fun, self-paced reading program designed to encourage families and caregivers to read 1,000 books with their children before they begin kindergarten. As a self-paced program, families can sign up and start the program at any time throughout the year. Reading together offers your child the opportunity to develop pre-literacy and early literacy skills that leave them well-prepared for reading on their own later. It also is a great way to spend quality time together!
Reading just 1 book per day = 365 books in 1 year and 1,095 books in 3 years!
How Does It Work?
You can sign up at any library location OR use our online signup if you prefer. Keep reading for all the details!
- Visit any Beauregard Parish Library location and pick up a 1000 Books registration packet. This folder includes a welcome letter and program brochure for the adult, the first reading log, suggested title lists, and a bookmark. Your child will also receive a small welcome gift. Each of your children under the age of 6 AND who has not yet entered kindergarten can sign up. Log tracking stops when your child reaches 1000 books OR enters kindergarten, whichever comes first.
- Check out some books while you’re at the library to get a head start on your reading! In a rush? Check out one of our pre-filled 1000 Books tote bags at any branch; each has between 5 and 8 random picture books you can read with your little one.
- Track each book you or someone else reads to your child. You can track reading progress on the paper log provided in your registration packet, by downloading a tracker here, or by signing up to track books online.
- Don’t forget that books others read to your child count, too! Visit a library branch for storytime to add a few more books to your log!
- Does your little one have a favorite book you read over and over together? Each repetition counts on your log!
- REWARD your child along the journey towards 1000 books! Each time you reach 100 books, visit the library for a sticker, a certificate, and a new reading log. Your child will also get a special gift when he or she turns in the logs for 100 books, 500 books, and 1000 books. Celebrate these milestones along the way and let your child know how much you enjoy the time you spend reading together.
- Once your child logs 1000 books read, your family will receive an invitation to our next 1000 Books Graduation Ceremony, which will be held annually or semi-annually, depending on demand. Be sure we have your correct mailing address so we can send your invitation!
- The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten name and logo are used with permission of the 1000 Books Foundation
- Funding for initiating this program at the Beauregard Parish Library in 2022 is provided by a joint grant from Save The Children TM and the Rotary Club of DeRidder.