During Phase 2, the Beauregard Parish Library is open with limited hours and limited services. Additional details can be seen here. Within those limitations, further closures may become necessary on short notice due to staff shortages. We will update our social media accounts in those instances. Patrons are also welcome to call 337-463-6217 x 0 during the DeRidder branch's open hours for the most recent updates on branch openings. Computer use is limited and by appointment only. Patrons can schedule appointments online here or by calling 337-463-6217 or in-person by asking a library clerk. Appointments are set at 45-minute intervals. No consecutive appointments for 1 person.
Click here to book a computer appointment
Sunday School: Outdoor Activities
With this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class we will mention some of the classes with will help improve your skill with outdoor activities. Classes available through Universal Class are free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards.
Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many others available. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- Freshwater Fishing 101
- "This comprehensive, illustrated course is designed to instruct people on the sport of freshwater fishing; including an introduction to the sport, discussions on various bait fishing, lure fishing, and casting techniques.
Additionally, there are discussions on fishing tips in general, and information on how factors such as weather and solar/lunar forces can affect a fishing trip. Also included here, is a listing of the best species of fish for the table, along with information on the best ways to cook freshly-caught fish, and an overview of fishing safety and regulations."
- Bird Watching 101
- "This self-paced online course covers bird identification and location, feeding, types of birdhouses, equipment, emergency care and behavior and habitats. Whether you are a casual backyard bird watcher or a serious enthusiast, you'll soon discover that the more you watch birds the more you will want to learn about them."
- Canoeing 101
- "This comprehensive, illustrated guide is designed to instruct people on the sport of canoeing; including a brief history of the canoe, a discussion on safety, instruction on basic beginner/intermediate paddling techniques, and proper portaging techniques."
- Buying and Selling Antiques and Collectables
- "How to Buy and Sell Antiques and Collectibles offers a highly successful approach to acquiring and selling antiques and collectibles for both fun and profit. This course incorporates many strategies of acquiring and selling desirable objects and pieces, with the goal of personal enjoyment and fulfillment."
There are over 500 different courses available. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.
Posted Sunday May 3, 2015 12:00pm