People in great need often file early – and at great expense – through commercial tax preparation services that charge large fees. We want to spread the word that FREE tax help is available. By filing returns at local VITA sites, people receive 100% of their refund. IRS-trained volunteers can help you find special tax credits. DIAL 211 TO MAKE YOUR APPOINTMENT. IRS-certified volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with non-profit organizations that receive grants from the IRS. Taxpayers who come to free tax preparation sites can find out about programs that will help them leverage their refunds toward the financial success of their families. These asset-building programs provide financial education, homebuyer’s education, down payment assistance and low-interest car loans. If you qualify for free tax help, you may also qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING WITH ME?
- Current photo ID (both spouses, if joint return)
- Social Security Card or ITIN for each person to be claimed
- W2, 1099 form, 1098 form, and/or social security income statements for all income
- End of the year retirement plan statements (401K, IRA, etc.)
- Child care provider name, address and tax ID number
- Record of expenses (child care, education, medical, dental, etc.)
- For direct deposit, a blank check with an account and routing number
- Homeowners: Hazard Insurance Declaration page for LA Citizens Credit
- Last year’s tax return, if you have it
- Receipts for charitable donations, business expenses, etc.
- 1095a Health Insurance Marketplace Statements if you have them