The Beauregard Parish Library is subject to the so-called “Sunshine Laws” (La R.S. 42:14) regarding open meetings. See an excerpt of this law below. Additional legislature can be seen by searching the State Legislature page.
Louisiana Revised Statutes
- §14. Meetings of public bodies to be open to the public
- Every meeting of any public body shall be open to the public unless closed pursuant to R.S. 42:16, 17, or 18.
- Each public body shall be prohibited from utilizing any manner of proxy voting procedure, secret balloting, or any other means to circumvent the intent of this Chapter.
- All votes made by members of a public body shall be viva voce and shall be recorded in the minutes, journal, or other official, written proceedings of the body, which shall be a public document.
- Except school boards, which shall be subject to R.S. 42:15, each public body conducting a meeting which is subject to the notice requirements of R.S. 42:19(A) shall allow a public comment period at any point in the meeting prior to action on an agenda item upon which a vote is to be taken. The governing body may adopt reasonable rules and restrictions regarding such comment period.