During Phase 2, the Beauregard Parish Library is open with limited hours and limited services. Additional details can be seen here. Within those limitations, further closures may become necessary on short notice due to staff shortages. We will update our social media accounts in those instances. Patrons are also welcome to call 337-463-6217 x 0 during the DeRidder branch's open hours for the most recent updates on branch openings. Computer use is limited and by appointment only. Patrons can schedule appointments online here or by calling 337-463-6217 or in-person by asking a library clerk. Appointments are set at 45-minute intervals. No consecutive appointments for 1 person.
Click here to book a computer appointment
Sunday School: Writing
With this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class we will help you with National Novel Writing Month that starts today (November 1st) and ends November 30th, so we will share classes that related to writing fiction. Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many other courses available. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- Novel Writing 101
- "From character and plot-conflict development to infusing a unique style and specialized writing techniques, the steps to writing a novel--while not utterly impossible--do require a dedicated, disciplined approach. By committing to the steps outlined within this course, aspiring (and even experienced) novelists can find the structure they need to create a well-crafted manuscript, one they will be proud to shop to potential agents and publishers."
- Historical Fiction Writing
- "Writing historical fiction is quite simply writing a story that is set in the past. You will do research to create a correct and realistic setting, based upon facts. Historical fiction can even include real people. In this course, we are going to explore the genre and all its offshoots. We'll discuss the various sub-genres, the types of characters and settings you may want to explore, character motivations, conflict, plot, plot mapping, editing, and pacing. We'll even cover agents, queries, and so much more."
- Mystery Writing
- "This course is perfect for those who have an interest in either Creative Writing or the Mystery Genre. The entire course is designed to offer you great information in a way that will get you thinking about your own mystery and personal writing practices. Whatever your age, experience or level of ability, this course constantly challenges and informs you so that your writing can't fail to improve and you will learn how to stay motivated and inspired through the entire writing process."
- Romance Writing
- "Writing a romance novel is the dream of many people all over the world. It's no wonder: as the most popular fiction genre in the United States for the past three decades, there are more opportunities in romantic fiction than ever before. What's unique about the romance genre is that it is a very specialized industry. There are standards for plot, characterization, novel length, and even formatting that are required before most literary agents or publishers will even consider turning your manuscript into a published novel. This course will take you through everything you need to know to write the kind of romance novel that gets noticed."
Classes available through Universal Class are free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards. There are over 500 different courses available. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.
Posted Sunday November 1, 2015 12:00pm