Summer Reading Program launches June 1, 2019
Sunday School: Science Refresher
With this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class we will help your curiosity about various kinds of science. Classes available through Universal Class are free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards.
Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many others available. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- Astronomy 101
- "In this course we're going to explore our night sky, constellations, our solar system, our galaxy, and what lies beyond the far reaches of space. In addition, we'll learn about past and current projects for space exploration, as well as future ideas for space travel."
- Biology 101
- "Biology, the science of life, concentrates on the structure, function, distribution, adaptation, interactions, origins and evolution of living organisms, a grouping which encapsulates both plants and animals. Biology 101 will encompass the principles of biology that include the structure and function of the cell to the complexities of current Ecological issues. Topics will include: Methods of Biological Studies, Chemistry Fundamentals, Cell Biology, The Study of Genetics (Heredity and Molecular), Origin and Principles of Evolution, the Dynamics of Populations, Ecosystem Structures and other Ecology Topics. This course is an excellent learning resource for the college or pre-college student."
- Chemistry 101
- "At a minimum, a basic understanding of chemistry is needed for it offers a foundation for comprehending the inner workings of biology (how cells function and the behavior of organisms), as well as, the ecological relationships that exist between organisms and their environment. Chemistry provides us with insights into how our bodies function; the ingredients that are contained within the foods we eat; the reason cars, planes and trains are able to run as efficiently as they do; the manner in which computers are built and operate; and the materials used to construct our homes and buildings within our communities. "
- Geography 101
- "Are you mystified by maps? Would you like to know how mountains are made? You can find out the answers to these questions by taking our Geography Course. In eleven easy lessons, you'll learn all about the different geographical features that make up our planet. You'll learn to distinguish islands from atolls and peninsulas. You'll learn how the huge tectonic plates interact to create mountains and valleys and how wind and water shape our world. You'll also learn about the way people, plants, and animals have changed the world. This course covers the way humans create order by drawing maps and creating areas that we can recognize. You'll learn how mapmakers divided the oceans and why. The lessons will touch on how culture and experience influence the way people map the world."
- Meteorology 101
- "The study of land, atmospheric pressure, cloud formation and storms offers students of meteorology a never-ending and fascinating look into the forces of nature and our surrounding environment. From how rainbows form to the impact of pollution on the environment, this basic meteorology course explores such topics as: how geography affects weather, cloud formation, wind forces, weather forecasting methods, and global weather patterns (such as El Niño). From weather forecasting to water conservation, we'll introduce you to the vagaries of weather watching and prediction. We'll study the effects of pressure fronts that create hurricanes, tornadoes, and cyclones. We'll offer students clues on how to watch the sky for signs of change, as well as provide a greater understanding of the development and formation of some of the most awesome powers on earth."
There are over 500 different courses available. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.
Posted Sunday July 12, 2015 12:00pm