|10/16/2018: Singer branch will be resuming normal operations today.
Sunday School: Medical Terminology
With this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class we will help you with your career quest if it is related to medical billing and terminology. Classes available through Universal Class are free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards.
Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many others available. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- Medical Terminology 101
- "This medical terminology course covers the medical language and terminology used by health care professionals everywhere. If you're interested in pursuing a health and science career requiring the ability to communicate with physicians, dentists, or other medical professionals, this class will meet all your needs. In easy to review lessons, you'll find our user-friendly format will not only give you a solid foundation in medical language, but can be completed in less than 25 days! You will analyze individual word parts such as prefixes, suffixes and word roots, along with learning body system dynamics, basic medical language, body orientation, health, wellness, and disease terms. You will learn the basic components of medical terminology as it relates to each body system plus the instruments used in assessment will also be reviewed."
- Medical Terminology 201
- "Medical terminology is the specific language used by professionals in the medical industry and for success in this field, understanding and communicating in the language is critical. Medical Terminology 201 is an advanced course for those with some experience or training (Medical Terminology 101 is not required but recommended). The course will focus on the medical terms and concepts used to understand anatomy. Lessons are organized by body system. Each lesson begins with structures and functions of a system followed by pathology, diagnostic, and procedural terminology. This easy-to-read, compact format of our online classroom makes for quick learning."
- Comprehensive Medical Terminology 1 & 2
- "This comprehensive medical terminology combination course covers both courses: Medical Terminology 101 and 201. We'll start with the very basics of medical terminology, reviewing word roots, prefixes, and suffixes that make up medical words. We'll then move on to each body system where we'll work on recognizing and defining their related medical terms. This comprehensive review of medical terminology will not only benefit those new to medical terms used in medicine today, but also act as a refresher for those already experienced in medical terminology."
- Medical Terminology for Medical Coders
- "This medical terminology course for medical coders covers the medical terminology used by professional medical coders in today's healthcare industry. We'll start with the very basics of medical terminology, reviewing word roots, prefixes, and suffixes that make up medical words. We'll then move on to each body system where we'll work on recognizing and defining their related medical terms. This comprehensive review of medical terminology will not only benefit those new to medical terms used in medical coding, but also act as a refresher for those already experienced in medical coding."
- Introduction to Medical Billing
- "Medical billing is one of the fastest growing healthcare jobs. Hospitals, private practices and clinics could not survive without someone who efficiently handles their day-to-day Medical Billing procedures. A medical biller's job responsibilities can include: expert management of healthcare billing--processing, adjusting and resubmitting of claims; adherence to current healthcare industry regulations and policies; and compliance with insurance procedures and allotted benefit coverage. This self-paced course will quickly and easily train you in these procedures."
There are over 500 different courses available. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.
Posted Sunday May 10, 2015 12:00pm