English as a Second Language
With this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class we will help you with English as a Second Language classes that are available through Universal Class for free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards.
We have a growing population in the area who use English as a second language, and we have many resources available to help them, including Mango's full set of ESL. We also have items in our library that you can check out and take home with you. If you want to try things from the comfort of your own internet connection, here are some sample courses you might consider taking. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- ESL Basic Grammar
- "Whether you are learning English as a second language or are a native speaker striving to improve your English and writing skills, understanding proper grammar rules and guidelines are the essential building blocks to creating clear and understandable thought processes and ideas. This ESL basic grammar course will provide an introduction into the basics of English grammar. We'll cover many relevant topics, including sentence structure, writing basics, as well as review basic English structure in the form of nouns, verbs, prepositions, adjectives and adverbs. Native English speakers as well as those learning English will benefit from the examples and reviews of basic English grammar structure and foundations presented throughout this course."
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing
- "This ESL basic grammar and writing course will provide an introduction to the basics of American English grammar and writing. Whether you are learning English as a second language or are a native speaker striving to improve your English and writing skills, using proper grammar rules and writing guidelines are essential building blocks to creating clear and understandable thought processes and ideas. Knowing the proper way to communicate in a wide range of fields will help promote your self-confidence, increase your skill levels, and ensure your job advancement and promotion. This course will guide you through the basic grammar structures and rules as well as focus on improving the necessary skills leading to clear and accurate writing."
- ESL Grammar Skills Level 1
- "This is a beginning grammar and writing course for learners of the English language. This course is Level 1. Each lesson includes an HD Video to help you better understand the ideas and rules of the lesson, and help you with your listening comprehension and your pronunciation. With successful completion of this course, you will have a strong foundation in English. Your language will be limited, but you will be able to say most things you need to say. If English is new for you or if you need a solid refresher on the basics, this is an excellent course for you."
- ESL Basic Writing Skills
- "Communication is vital in today's society. It is not enough to merely be able to speak and understand spoken English. In the United States, writing English is often a necessary skill in many job industries and fields. In order to develop practical writing skills, one must understand the basics of English grammar and sentence structure. Learning essential vocabulary and continually expanding knowledge is one of the best ways to succeed, both in personal and professional lives.
This ESL basic writing course will help you improve your writing skills through lesson plans and samples that explain many grammatical style rules and functions in easy-to-understand examples and skill-building usage."
There are over 500 different courses available. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.