The DeRidder Branch of the Beauregard Parish Library is now open Monday through Wednesday and Friday between 9:00 AM and 5:30 PM, Thursday between 9:00 AM and 7:30 PM and Saturday 9:00 AM and 1:00 PM. Details of our Phase 3 operations can be seen here. We are working on hurricane clean-up and remediation to return service to our rural locations as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Sunday School: Gardening
With this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class we will help you get ready for spring planting with a few of the Gardening classes that are available through Universal Class for free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards.
Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many others available. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- Introduction to Gardening
- "Does spring weather make you wish to get your hands dirty in the garden? Is your neighbor's garden the envy of your eye? Have you always wanted to start a garden but just were not sure how to start? The easiest way make this decision is to take a class that will guide you step by easy step through the process of deciding what kind of garden you wish to start, where to place it, how to be certain that the soil is ready and good for growing, how to know what to plant and where to plant it."
- Vegetable Gardening 101
- "Vegetable Gardening is a course that is designed for beginners to gardening. If you're interested in learning how to set up, design, and cultivate a vegetable garden, you will find the tips and advice in this course to be a helpful way to get started and to keep your garden growing for years to come."
- Tropical Gardens 101
- "This course on tropical gardening is designed for beginner gardeners who are looking to start a tropical garden or to cultivate a garden they have inherited on their property. We start with the basics, such as choosing tropical plants and learning where tropical plants come from. We'll then learn how tropical plants work and what their special needs are.
Some of the more common tropical plants are reviewed, as well as information about watering, growing, protecting, pruning, and training these plants to thrive in your yard. Additionally, this course covers the basics of pest and disease control, and also discusses the ideas of organic gardening, planning an effective garden, and choosing the right garden type for your needs. You will find out how to garden effectively – even if you don't have a green thumb."
- Landscaping 101
- "The enjoyment of a beautiful landscape is one of the great pleasures of home ownership. However, actually realizing your landscaping visions can be stressful Frequently you have a bare dirt and poor grass yard or an all grass yard and you just don't know where to start. This online course can help. Landscaping 101 will not only teach you the basics of the science of landscaping, it will show you how to apply your own creativity to transform your yard into a work of art."
There are over 500 different courses available. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.
Posted Sunday March 1, 2015 12:00pm